Thursday, March 18, 2010

You Be The Photo Editor!

Boy, what gorgeous weather we're having! Managing Editor, Lauren Flaum, suggested a "standalone" pic would work nicely for the front page. These images run with a cutline (caption) only. So we had a quick pow wow and the winner is Old Saybrook. Ahh, the beaches, the boats, gotta love OS.

When time is not the issue, backroads are the only way to travel. I absolutely love Route 154 and I can hardly wait for Higgies and the Pilot House to open . I guess I take after my Dad, Danny Cienava when it comes to the open road. He drove my maternal grandfather crazy! Dad always drove the side streets, anything to avoid those annoying traffic lights. My grandfather, Ed Specyalski used to say, "Ahh, you're just like you father...just wasting gas!"

Unfortunately today, time was of the essence, it was 4:00 p.m. and I had a scout meeting at 6:30 in Middletown. So, I set my cruise control to 65 mph, popped in my Classics 4 CD, opened the window and I was off. The one thing I miss this time of the year is my Grand Cherokee, it had a sun roof.

I decided to hit the beaches. Whoa jackpot...Town Beach in Old Saybrook. A woman sitting on a bench that was literally buried in an incredible sand drift. She was talking on her cell phone and pretty much ignored me. A dream come true for a photojournalist. Hint, just pretend you never see us and we are good to go. I had the 300mm 2.8 on and I photographed her from about 50 feet away, two different angles.

After 30 or 40 exposures, I knew I had something and it was time to get her name and more importantly ask who she was talking with. So I politely interrupted to find out her name was Nancy Albert and that she was having a "long sister talk" with her sister Alice. At that point, she said something about two hours. She was very pleasant and since I have two sisters, I completely understand the long sister talks. In fact, it was only a few days ago I had a one hour conversation with my baby sister Tina.

I arrived back at the Press at about 8:30, fired up the MAC and edited the 40 exposures down to two, but one is all I need. Which image would you pick? Photo A- at the top or Photo B-at the bottom.

Today's quote is from Dorethea Lange.
"Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still."


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely B

March 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM 
Anonymous Catherine Avalone said...

Hmm...Check the Tuesday edition of the Press, page 3!

March 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM 
Anonymous Catherine Avalone said...

To anonymous

You have a great eye!

March 23, 2010 at 11:37 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home