Thursday, July 8, 2010

On my way back from an assignment Thursday evening, I noticed two lads on Dekoven Drive. I was very curious, so I pulled over to ask them what they were up to. They had backpacks and sleeping bags and looked a little tired. They explained to me that they had been hitchhiking their way back to Warwick, Rhode Island after spending a week living off the land and attending a Rainbow Coalition gathering in Pennsylvania. Since my Dad was born and raised in Warwick, I felt a need to help these guys out.

I should have been heading back to the office for deadline, but could not resist. I know what you're thinking at this point, but I offered them a lift towards the shore. They were so appreciative and said they had run into a few nice people along the way.

I was thinking that someday my son Andrew may be in the same position and hopefully there will be someone there to help him out. Tim, the fellow on the right asked if my son was an Eagle Scout, I guess he saw the bumper sticker. When I told him yes, he said that he too was an Eagle Scout. Ben sat up front and we had a nice chat about their adventure. I played a little music and they enjoyed the air conditioning. They asked if I could drop them off near an exit because they had already received a ticket in New York for hitchhiking and were looking forward to returning home.

Guys, I hope you made it home safe!

Where there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us ro see. - Dorthea Lange


Update: I heard from Tim. They spent Saturday night in Old Saybrook, received three more rides and arrived in Warwick at 1:00 p.m. Saturday. What an adventure...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home